PIG HYGIENE & WELFARE
I cannot stress enough the importance of pig hygiene and welfare. So many ailments and poor births are due to poor hygiene and if only keeping a few Oxford Sandy & Black pigs there is no excuse for the highest standards of animal husbandry.
The Farm Animal Welfare Council has five factors of importance.
- Freedom from hunger and thirst – having access to fresh water and a good diet aiding good health and vitality.
- Freedom from discomfort – Providing suitable environment which includes shelter and a good clean comfortable sleeping quarter
- Freedom from injury or disease – which is dealing immediately to any ailments and treating with urgency.
- Most importantly the freedom to express most normal behaviour – Providing sufficient space, good clean facilities and of course the company of other pigs
- Freedom from fear and distress – You must ensure that you have sufficient conditions and treatment to avoid mental suffering keep them stimulated and lots of interaction.
Follow Us on Facebook